Harley Davidson Forums banner

JayD's journey back to the road...

7K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  JayD 
#1 ·
Hi to all,

This is a thread about the rebuilding of my Shovel which started life as a 1973 FLH 1200 and made it's way to Australia.

Here is a couple of photos of my bike when we first uncovered it from storage...

stay tuned as we are about to start tearing it down, re working the frame for comfort...I am not taking this bike back to stock rarther back to a good looking scooter done my way, I do hope you enjoy this journey as much I will doing it.

Jay...:ride

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like a pretty cool project you have there. :nod
I love to watch these build threads.:drool

#8 ·
Wow.....original (time period) Bates seat, P-pad, 2 piece handlebars, and an S&S Super-G carb.

I'd get that running, clean it up, fix he leaky seals from sitting and leave it period correct, just like it is and ride it.

#13 ·
Wow.....original (time period) Bates seat, P-pad, 2 piece handlebars, and an S&S Super-G carb.

I'd get that running, clean it up, fix he leaky seals from sitting and leave it period correct, just like it is and ride it.
Super D carb. :D
The S&S is a series B...after I installed this carb I had a couple of experiences where my bike nearly accelerated out from under me...I just managed to hang on with my finger tips till I re gained control...:nod...the mrs alway knew cause I walked through the door white as a ghost...:laugh ..I swore everytime never to do it again then some clown in a worked car would give me the bird and dump his clutch and I'd open my scooter up and I was back there again, car a spec in my rear view mirror and me battling for control while my bike was like a crazy stallion trying to buck off it's rider...all I can say to that now ..is "bugger that" memories...lol.. you know now I'm older I dont know who the biggest clown was, him or me for letting them spoil my day riding with a near death experience ???

#11 ·
Should be a great longish term project - "fluffster"

Na, he should rush it in a week like the Boyd coddington hot rod show, and miss alot and fug everything up!:rollin

Just kidding- take your time do it right:thumbsup

#14 ·
It begins...

Hi Folks,
Everything has to start some where, we have made an efficient amount of space and workshop room as seen in my last post of my hello from down under thread... racking, work bench and space Now the rebuild begins...

off comes the tanks...

to expose the magnificent look of an exposed "V Twin"...I can see why the boys mount up Sporty tanks to showcase the engine..:drool.

a rear view...

just a taste of whats to come...enjoy.

Attachments

#16 ·
Hell....I will do better than that...If I win the Texas lotto, I will come down there and buy you a brand new bike ...there is always hope..I only missed it by 6 numbers last week..keep up the good work bro....:nod

#17 · (Edited)
parts start to roll in...

Hey,
We are starting to source parts needed for the conversion back to comfort...swingarm. $50 off fleabay...:) I have been so torn about which way to go with my frame...it is the original frame that has had a weld on hardtail welded on.

I would make up my mind to convert back to conventional swingarm...and a few days later I would start thinking about retaining the hardtail look and change my mind back to softail swingarm this lasted for a couple weeks.

I was checking out the deals on fleabay and came across this swingarm for $50 which I brought off a bloke in Hobart...the farthest place south in Australia had it couriered to our house in Tas then flown to our other house in Sydney all up $76

I'm not counting the cost of the flight up for the swingarm as it was chucked in with extra luggage and was convenient to do so. So a lucky find on fleabay helped me make up my mind...:think now do I cut off the hardtail on my old frame, or do I build another frame from the ground up ?? decisions...decisions ?? :think on another note this forum rocks ! full of intelligent helpful people, bikers who help out the next man and care about their rides while looking after their loved ones.

remember folks when you can weld and fabricate...you are the creator :think ...of physical things...more parts to be here soon.

Take care all and "Keep your tyres on the tar"

Jay:ride

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
The CV arrives...

I scored this CV off fleabay aswell for $137 to my front door... another step closer...:)

you might say yourself ? "he has a S&S series B to put on the engine" ? fact of the matter is, my bike either started frist kick or 31st kick when it started first kick it was great and the other well...this was the only place I could fault this carby as it was like a bolt on blower when I gave it some stick. I remember running an SU Eliminator on my bike and it started near all the time first kick if not then within three and now its all about comfort and easy starting.

Attachments

#19 ·
I think that CV would be better suited for normal day to day use. :thumb

If it were a Super E, I would have not bothered looking to change. :nod

#22 ·
two good points...all I plan on doing is day to day riding. If the "B" carb had a accelerator pump not just an enricher venturi, so I could give it some juice on start up, I would never change this carb but as we know Shovels like a good drink of fuel to start up.

#23 ·
I do like the type of Harley decals on the tank and have searched for them so I could retain the look, however I could not find them, I have souced tank badges and like them ...:think but I am still making up my mind which way to go...:think

#21 ·
JayD brother,

this is a great adventure trough a great project... An old scoot coming back to life is always nice to watch... 15 years ago, A friend of mine found an old Panhead in a burned down building in Montréal. it was all burned up and rusty he took it out of there didn't cost him a cent to get it and today he is riding that thing on Sunday's rides and he sure enjoy it !!! So good luck and like the brothers out there I will follow you in your quest for a great ride !!!!

Good Luck !!!:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

#24 ·
Thanx mate, I will build this bike right,it deserves it and after raising my kids me and my wife do too before all we can ride is those four wheel scooter things you see getting around...lol's

#27 ·
No problem. I stumbled across some tank emblems like the originals that were on my FXR, so I bought them just incase I ever get another FXR sometime I can do it up like the one I had....

They didn't have your's, but with the PN I was able to locate them at Latus.

Incase anyone ever needs tank badges, I can fully recommend Andy Lund at eharleyparts.com

When ordering mine, their website said they had 2 in stock, but before shipping Andy realized they weren't both the same color. On this discovery he phoned me, and let me know what was up and said he could get me a second one the right color but it would take about a week.

He got the second one and shipped them out to me in a timely manner. I appreciated that he took the time to phone me and let me know what happened.

#28 ·
When you get service like that you go back time after time after time :nod ... Thanx once more and take care.

#29 · (Edited)
Bike rescue...

Hey Folks,
Here is a couple of photos of a towing device I am making for the break in period when I get my bike back on the the road...I have to make one thing very clear here as I will not lay claim to this being my brain child. I have seen many devices on you tube and only lay claim to this being my interpretation, of an already existing concept. I feel this will be very handy for ole lady or who ever comes to help you if and when needed.

Warning If you can not weld properly do not try and build this towing devise !!

Remember you are going to tow a very expensive motorcycle with it !!. Some might say the most expensive motorcyle in the world...yours

This is not finished yet as it has to have an articulation device welded to the front and a rear section that locks the bike vertical when towing...I was thinking of using a universal joint for the point of attachment to the car, truck.

Attachments

#30 ·
Just a quick post to let you all know we are still working behind the scenes sourcing parts and working out jig plans to modify the frame.
Like all of us I am governed by my hip pocket nerve, we are presently on a plateau buying things seemingly going nowhere.
However shortly to explode back with heaps of progress to show and tell... like the towing device I have made its all to keep me sane while I take the necessary steps to do this right..more photos shortly...:ride

#31 ·
Just a quick post to let you all know we are still working behind the scenes sourcing parts and working out jig plans to modify the frame.
Like all of us I am governed by my hip pocket nerve, we are presently on a plateau buying things seemingly going nowhere.
However shortly to explode back with heaps of progress to show and tell... like the towing device I have made its all to keep me sane while I take the necessary steps to do this right..more photos shortly...:ride
Here is the towing device with reinforcements gussets welded into place and a lick of paint...

Attachments

#32 ·
The long and winding road...

Hey,
It's been a while since l posted anything new in this rebuild thread, well as we travel through life we take many turns and overcome any obstacles in our way....err...well most of them ! so l feel if l do not include this into my journey back to the road my story would not be complete...so here is a link to keep all updated... JayD's New Softail

#33 ·
Back to the Shovel...

Hey,
It's been a while since l posted anything new in this rebuild thread, well as we travel through life we take many turns and overcome any obstacles in our way....err...well most of them ! so l feel if l do not include this into my journey back to the road my story would not be complete...so here is a link to keep all updated... JayD's New Softail
Ive done some miles on my new Softail and now its time to turn my attention back to my Shovel, heres a couple of photos of it as its being pulled down...

We had a good laugh while we were wrenching, we had a younger bloke cataloguing the parts as they come off the bike, we looks over and here he is with the oil tank, marked " oil tank"...lol's I tried to get a picture but he scarpered quicker than a fox getting out of a chicken pen after the farmer spotted him...lol's :rollin

Attachments

#35 ·
yes it is...but then theres common sense and if you havent got that god help you...the jurys still out with this one.:rollin

#36 ·
We pulled the Shovel down a little further and cleaned of as much surface rust as we could now we are putting together the chrome list and some more parts arrived aswell, clutch handle, headlight, its slowly coming together...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.